Battery Road was likely built in the 1820s and was featured in G. D. Coleman’s map of Singapore published in 1836. The road takes its name from Battery Point of Fort Fullerton, which was situated where Fullerton Square is today. One of the earliest roads in Singapore, many warehouses were set up on Battery Road by the Singapore River during the early 19th century. These were followed by three- or four-storey classical buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. After the launch of the urban renewal programme in the 1960s, Battery Road underwent a major transformation that saw its classical buildings being replaced by modern skyscrapers.
Image Credit: Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies and Leiden University Library/Wikimedia Commons (Scene 1); Google Street View (Scene 2)
Credits: Image Credit: Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies and Leiden University Library/Wikimedia Commons, Google Street View