Reinberger Children's Library Center
The Reinberger Children's Library Center supports and encourages scholarly research, provides professional training to students and practitioners and engages in activities and outreach throughout Northeast Ohio, the Columbus Metropolitan area and beyond.
The Center features a collection of more than 40,000 children’s books, original picture book art, posters relating to children’s books that date back to 1924, an iPad Lab containing 18 iPads with pre-loaded K-12 apps, movable books, historical children’s books and more.
The Center, which opened in 2003, was made possible by a gift of $240,000 from the Reinberger Foundation of Cleveland. It was originally constructed as the Reinberger Children’s Room, a "demonstration" children's public and school library center where thousands of students, paraprofessionals, librarians, teachers and community members have participated in hands-on courses, events and workshops.
In 2008, another expansion was needed after the late Dr. Kenneth and Sylvia Marantz donated more than 25,000 picture books spanning 40 years, along with posters, original artwork, ephemera and character toys, creating the Marantz Picturebook Collection for the Study of Picturebook Art. The Reinberger Foundation, the School and the College of Communication and Information (CCI) funded the expansion of this physical space on the 3rd floor of the Kent State University Library.