The former site of Fort Fullerton, one of Singapore’s earliest fortifications, it was a busy thoroughfare and the site of many important colonial buildings and landmarks. These included the Exchange Building, the first General Post Office building, the first and second Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) buildings and the Tan Kim Seng Fountain. Today, Fullerton Square remains an important road leading to the commercial centre. After the launch of the urban renewal programme in the 1960s, Fullerton Square underwent a major transformation that saw all but one of its classical buildings being replaced by modern skyscrapers. The remaining one that still stands today is the Fullerton Building which was built in 1928 to replace the first General Post Office and Exchange building. Today, it is a luxurious hotel known as the Fullerton Hotel.
Image Credit: Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies and Leiden University Library/Wikimedia Commons (Scene 1); Google Street View (Scene 2)
Credits: Image Credit: Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies and Leiden University Library/Wikimedia Commons, Google Street View