The Tower standing at Slaughden Quay, near Aldeburgh is the most northerly and largest of the Martello Towers built during the Napoleonic War.
It was designed by Colonel Twiss and Captain Ford as a 4-gun tower, quatrefoil in plan and surrounded by deep brick moat. In each of 4 lobes is one ashlar-faced round-headed window.
It was built during 1808-10 by Royal Engineers using red brick on a granite plinth and with ashlar dressings.
In 1940 it was commandeered 1940 as military watch tower.
The Eastern segment of the moat has been eroded by the sea.