Under orders from Colonel George Washington, commander of the Virginia troops, Capt. John Ashby's rangers built a fort to aid in the defense of colonial residents in the Patterson Creek Valley of what is now Mineral County, WV. The fort was built during the French & Indian War in late 1755 and was in use until May 1757 when the troops were moved to the South Branch of the Potomac near the Trough.
Credits: Robin Fox, https://www.fortashby.org/
, Robin Fox, https://www.fortashby.org
, Robin Fox