Kallang Basin is an enclosed bay where the Kallang River, Rochor River and Geylang River empty into. The basin along with a Bugis village were depicted as early as 1836 in G. D. Coleman’s Map of the Town and Environs of Singapore. In the early days, Bugis traders would unload cargoes from their sail boats the basin. Thereafter, the banks would be lined with sawmills, oil and rice mills and abattoirs for most of the colonial period followed by shipyards, engineering workshops and factories during the early nation-building years. After the launch of the Rivers Clean-up Programme in the 1970s, Kallang Basin underwent a major transformation which saw its shipyards and factories being replaced by luxurious condominiums, green spaces and sports facilities.
Image Credit: © Urban Redevelopment Authority. All rights reserved (Scene 1 and 2); Google Street View (Scene 3)
Credits: © Urban Redevelopment Authority. All rights reserved., Google Street View