The Khan As’ad Pasha, built by the Damascus governor As’ad Pasha al-Azem in 1752, served as a guesthouse, commerce, and storage center for merchants traveling through the city. It was situated in the heart of the trade center along Suq al-Buzuriyyah and followed the typical layout of a khan. The first floor, a courtyard populated with shops, was dedicated to commerce and storage while the second floor was mainly used for lodging. By the twentieth century the Khan As’ad Pasha no longer functioned as a haven for traveling merchants, instead becoming manufacture and storage space until it was purchased by the Department of Museums and Antiquities in 1980. Much effort was put into restoring the khan: they reconstructed domes damaged in an earthquake, reinforced supporting piers, and restored interior finishes and decor. The khan reopened for public use in 1990.
Feb 28, 2019
Culture & HumanityUploaded 3D Model
Public / Not remixable